5 printing terms explained
November 19, 2016 · Print This Article
Terribly confused about the jargon in printing? The art of print design can be confusing and unfamiliar if you do not work with it every day. Minuteman Press Pinetown has put together a short glossary for you to use on your journey through our world:
This is a device that measures the absorbance of particular wavelengths of light by a specific solution. Basically this is the device that helps transform the ink in the printer into the exact colour of your picture. This is to ensure the quality of the image is preserved at all temperatures, pressures and humidity levels.
Standing for dots per inch, DPI is the detailed ink output of your prints. Different prints require different DPI in order to maintain clarity and quality. Ideally a higher DPI is better for images, but will use more ink.
Raster Image Processor – a software accessory that works as an enhanced printer driver, producing the highest possible quality output for text, bitmap graphics and vector art. An RIP isn’t essential, but it’s a useful add-on for large format work.
Most printers print up to A3 on sheets or rolls, large format (or wide format) printers take printing to the next level from A2 to about 64 inches wide. Excellent for signage, banners and personalised wall paper.
When the printing people ask about finish, they want to know the feel and texture of the paper you want. This could be matte, gloss, laid, etc. The finish can enhance the impact of your prints, so choose the one that suits you best. Ask for samples if you are unsure.
Whether you know the lingo or not, all your printing needs will be met at one of the leading printing companies in Johannesburg. Minuteman Press offers end-to-end printing solutions for your home and business. Contact us today for more information.
- Let the book speak, customers can judge your business by your booklets
- Uses of letterheads:
- Wedding invitation printing in three easy steps
- 5 printing terms explained
- Use Presentation Folders as Part of Your Winning Negotiation Strategy
- Reasons why postcards are still a great idea
- How printing flyers influences your business
- Using brochure printing to market effectively
- Calendar design and printing services in Pinetown
- Tips for effective booklet design and printing for your Pinetown business