Graphic design tips – why colour combinations are important
December 5, 2012 · Print This Article
Graphic design experts employ a host of elements to help their work stand out and communicate with readers. One aspect that is often overlooked by young designers is colour. Colour is one of the most powerful tools in the world of advertisement – especially if you’re doing full colour printing.
Although the experience of colour may in some cases be subjective it is undeniable that colours do stimulate certain emotions and feelings in every one of us. We have compiled some tips for better colour use in your graphic design projects.
Colour use tips in graphic design
- Field: In what field of business will your graphic design be relevant? Some colours are great for use in certain fields but not in others. For example, pink is fine for pamphlets advertising toys for girls but it will not be appropriate for hospital equipment catalogues.
- Character: You want the colour of your marketing materials, such as posters, stickers and signage to convey the character of your business. Some colours like bright blue may convey feelings of freedom and adventure whereas other colours like black and grey tend to feel more solid and restrained.
- Colour combinations: Don’t mix colours that don’t work well together like green and red.
- Tastefulness: If you are doing graphic design for professional purposes it is important to keep it tasteful. A design that uses all the colours of the rainbow is in most cases not advisable unless you run a circus.
It’s important to keep in mind that there are no hard or fast rules when it comes to colour use. You can experiment with different shades and colour combinations to see what works best.
Need help and advice on graphic design? Minuteman Press is a professional printing company in Centurion CBD – contact us for all your printing needs!
Centurion CBD News
- Creative business card ideas for your company
- Build Your Business with these 3 Types of Newsletters
- Personalised printed envelopes for home and business
- Designing and Printing Better Brochures
- Looking for Best quality printing services in Centurion?
- Using postcards to market your business
- Make the best of your graphic design
- Promote your Centurion business with booklet printing
- Never take Envelopes for granted in your business
- Save time with self-inking stamps in Centurion