Litho and digital printing in Midrand: A brief 101 guide
August 19, 2013 · Print This Article
If you’re not a professional printing company in Midrand, you might not know about all the benefits of each printing method. So how do you know if you should specify digital or litho printing? Minuteman Press gives a clear explanation of which printing method to use for different print jobs:
Litho printing has been around for ages and even with the advent of digital printing, it still remains a popular choice amongst many business owners. Litho printing involves creating custom plates for each page and the machine uses oil and water (which do not mix) to recreate the images on paper. Litho printing works out to be very cost effective if you require a large volume of prints.
One of the drawbacks to litho printing is the initial set up cost. Setting up the plates does require a bit of time and can be expensive if you are printing a small number of documents, which is why litho printing is more suitable for a large quantity of prints.
Digital printing is a quicker and more cost effective option if you need less than 1000 copies of something printed. This is because it does not require a lengthy set up process as it simply prints from an electronic file. Digital printing is also a better option if you need each document to be personalised. For example, if you are printing notices and you would like each addressed personally to your customers.
One of the disadvantages of digital printing is that the prints are usually not protectively coated. This means that UV, heat or moisture can damage the print quite easily, which is why litho printing would be a better choice for outdoor banners and posters.
Checklist before you specify litho or digital prints:
- Quantity and cost: Litho printing is a better option if you are printing more than 1000 copies of something. Digital printing is a more economical option if you are printing a small number of documents.
- Quality: Litho printing is known to produce a much better quality image than digital printing.
- Speed: The set up needed for litho printing can take quite a while. Digital printers are set up easily and your job will be completed quickly.
- Print invitations that stand out
- Why your business still needs self-inking stamps
- How custom printed booklets can help your marketing
- Five handy uses for printed booklets
- Marketing with Postcards
- Binding options for your printed manual
- Five handy uses for printed brochures
- How to use custom-printed booklets
- The print catalogue
- Your guide to printing business forms